Solitaire is one of the most popular games in the world, originating from Germany. It is a one-player game featuring 52 decks of playing cards. There are many variants of solitaire games, each with the same objective. However, the goal is to create four stacks of cards arranged in ascending order from K to A. In this post, we study the basic terms and benefits of solitaire.
Basic terms used in solitaire
Below are some basic terms you need to understand about solitaire puzzle games;
- Tableau- this is a 7-card pile that you have to create at the beginning of the game. The first pile usually has one card. The second one has two, and so on until the seventh pile, which has seven cards. The card on top of each pile is usually faced up while the rest face down.
- Stock- this term is used to refer to the cards remaining after building the tableau.
- Talon- this word refers to a pile of three cards from the stock. The first card of the three cards is usually facing upwards.
- Foundation- this refers to 4 stacks of cards. The cards are usually arranged in ascending order from Ace to King. The objective of the game is to create four complete stacks. Therefore, at the beginning of the game, the four foundations are usually empty.
Benefits of playing solitaire
The most natural and expected benefit of playing solitaire games and any other game is that it is fun and keeps you entertained. However, there are several other benefits of playing this type of puzzle game, such as the ones listed below;
1. Calming the mind
Solitaire is a game of concentration. This makes it an excellent game for calming your mind. It does this by putting your mind into a light state of meditation as you try to concentrate and reach the game’s goal. This puzzle game gives the mind something to focus on in times of low action. By maintaining focus in the game, it helps diffuse attention in the mind and body. This is one of the reasons why people suffering from anxiety are asked to partake in such games. This is also an excellent game if you have a hard time with decision-making.
By calming your mind, it allows you to think carefully and make wise and informed decisions.
2. It sharpens your cognitive skills
Solitaire trains different aspects of the brain on how to think and translate information. This translates into real-life situations outside the game. It, therefore, sharpens your cognitive skills.
3. It increases your intelligence levels
Playing solitaire frequently helps improve your intelligence levels. It allows you to use your brains regularly hence enhancing your mental skills.
4. It is a great way to pass time
Solitaire is a computer game that you can pull out and play at any time. For instance, if you have completed your work and can’t leave the office until your work hours are done, you can get the game going. Since the game commands a lot of attention, you will not notice the time passing since that is how enjoyable it can be.
Solitaire puzzle game also offers other psychological benefits like teaching delayed gratification. Playing solitaire is requires skill and a lot of concentration. It is, therefore, a good game for teens, youths, and adults.